Wind energy is a natural energy that has been used for lunar years. It can generate electricity and can even power a home. It is mainly found in the countryside and in the mountains. But what are its specificities? And how does it really work?
But what is wind energy?
Wind energy works with the help of the wind. This means that the home-made wind turbine, wind turbine or windmill (i.e. the machine) must be placed in a place where the wind is always blowing. This converts the kinetic energy of the wind into mechanical energy that can pump water and/or electrical energy. The wind speed determines the rotation of the blades of a rotor, between 14 and 90 km/hour. Indeed, the windmill is composed of :
- 2 or 3 wings or blades that rotate around a rotor. They can be made of wood, plastic or metal with a diameter varying from 40 to 120 m depending on the power of the machines.
- The tower or mast where the wind turbine propeller is placed.
- An electric generator that can make between 1500 and 3000 revolutions per minute…
- And a speed multiplier
A bit of history
A wind turbine that produces electricity is also called a wind turbine. It was born at the end of the 19th century in Denmark. At that time, wind energy was used to provide electricity to rural communities. However, since 1930, larger wind turbines have appeared. Vertical axis wind turbines are the oldest. But they work in a very simple way. Horizontal-axis wind turbines are more complex, but are able to give better performance. In any case, wind turbines should be planted in places with a wind speed of at least 20 km/h.
How a wind turbine works
The power of modern wind turbines exceeds 3 MW on land. The principle of a home-made wind turbine is as follows:
- The wind turns the blades and at the same time turns the generator…
- the generator then converts the mechanical energy into electrical energy…
- then the electricity is distributed to a grid or to batteries wind power storage batteries
Look out! Wind turbines emit aerodynamic noises that can harm the neighbours. The 500-metre distance required by law should therefore be respected. In any case, wind energy or renewable energy can power an entire building. Therefore, it would no longer be necessary to take out an electricity subscription. However, it is a very important investment….